After a demanding day at school, children with ADHD and anxiety often require extra support to decompress and reconnect with their parents or caregivers. Engaging in meaningful conversations and offering the right snacks can significantly impact their ability to engage in after-school activities like completing homework, sports, other activities as well as their overall well-being.
I've compiled my most favourite questions to ask my boys after their day and how each supports their self-confidence as well as our relationship as a family. I also threw in a few after-school snack ideas to tide those tired minds over until dinner!
The Impact of My Favourite Five: After-School Questions To Ask Your Kids
(Other Than "How Was Your Day?")
1. What made you feel happy today?
This question serves as a gateway to their emotional landscape. By encouraging your child to reflect on their sources of happiness, you help them cultivate gratitude and emotional awareness. They learn to find joy even in the face of challenges, nurturing resilience in the process.
2. What's one thing you did to help a friend today?
Beyond social etiquette, this inquiry nurtures empathy and the ability to understand the power of one's actions. Children learn that their kindness can create a ripple effect, promoting positive relationships and a sense of responsibility toward others.
3. What challenged you today?
Delving into the struggles of the day instills the value of resilience. By discussing their daily challenges, children understand that obstacles are opportunities for growth. It also offers a window into areas where they might need additional support.
4. What did you have fun learning about today?
This question ignites enthusiasm for education. It encourages children to see learning as an exciting journey rather than a chore. By focusing on enjoyable learning experiences, you nurture a lifelong love for knowledge.
5. When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
Celebrating personal achievements boosts self-esteem. It helps children acknowledge their strengths and capabilities, fostering a positive self-image and self-confidence. It also encourages them to set and achieve goals, an essential skill for those with ADHD.
Need Some Fun & Mood-Balancing After-School Snack Ideas?
Providing nourishing snacks is vital for children's overall well-being, including those grappling with ADHD and anxiety. Here's an extensive list of snack ideas:
1. Apple Slices with Almond Butter: This classic snack combines the sweetness of apples with the protein-rich goodness of almond butter.
2. Veggie Sticks with Hummus: Pairing carrot, cucumber, and bell pepper sticks with hummus not only offers a satisfying crunch but also a boost of chickpea protein.
3. Trail Mix: Create a custom trail mix with nuts, seeds, and dried fruits for a balanced blend of flavour, textures & a hearty crunch
4. Popcorn & Nutritional Yeast: Air-popped popcorn seasoned with nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt provides a wholesome and crunchy snack.
5. Sliced Bananas with Nut/Seed Butter and Dark Chocolate Chips: Layer banana slices with almond butter and dark chocolate chips for a sweet and protein-packed treat.
6. Rice Cakes with Avocado and Cherry Tomatoes: Spread mashed avocado on rice cakes and top them with cherry tomatoes for a savoury snack.
By incorporating these insightful questions into your daily routine and offering wholesome snacks, you'll create a supportive environment that nurtures both the academic and emotional well-being of your child with ADHD and anxiety. A healthy after-school snack helps to promote sustained energy levels throughout the afternoon and evening to fuel all those after-school activities.
Also! If you haven't already downloaded my more extensive free Family Snack Guide, click the link below to grab it now!
Curious about nutrition for your family?
If you’re looking for support with your family’s health goals regarding mental health, ADHD or fostering a healthy relationship with food, feel free to book in a FREE assessment call so we can chat to see if Holistic Nutrition is a good fit for your family!
BA Hons., B Ed., RHN, CNE, OCT
Metabolic Balance® Coach
Intuitive Eating Counsellor Candidate
Care-Informed & Health At Every Size® (HAES®) Nutritionist